This website has been moved to another location. If you are not redirected within next
seconds, please click here.
The Department of Family and Community Medicine recently received funding from the Alabama Family Practice Rural Health Board for a new Family Medicine Scholars Program. If you are interested in Family Medicine and plan to remain on the Birmingham Campus for your clinical experiences please consider applying to the Family Medicine Scholars Program.
In order to support interest and commitment to Family Medicine as a career choice, the Department of Family and Community Medicine has sought and received funding for a Family Medicine Scholars Program. The application is linked to this letter. Students from the first and second year classes at UASOM are welcome to apply. Five applicants will be selected as Family Medicine Scholars. Each Family Medicine Scholar may select a faculty member from the Department of Family and Community Medicine and/or a clinical community-based faculty member to serve as his or her advisor.
- Obtaining clinical experience with an academic or community family physician early in your medical school career
- Immediate admission to the Pathway Program (students completing clinical experiences in a rural area receive a travel stipend of $25 per full day)
- Registration, travel, lodging and meal assistance for state and national meetings ($750 maximum allowance)
- Assistance in developing personalized Scholar’s Week courses
- Formal and informal opportunities to interact with family physicians
- An open invitation to noon conferences, pharmaceutical updates, and other activities sponsored by the Department of Family and Community Medicine
We hope you will take advantage of this excellent opportunity. Please direct all applications and questions you may have to Dr. Tamela J. Turner at 934-4037.
Family Medicine Scholars Program Application
- Microsoft Word document