Grades of Incomplete in First and Second Year Courses
Purpose: The mission of the University of Alabama School of Medicine includes the oversight of complete and timely academic development of all students seeking the MD degree. In order to facilitate in the timely and appropriate academic progression of each medical student, a formal policy and procedure will be employed to monitor and deal with students receiving temporary grades of "Incomplete (I)" in required courses for years 1 and 2.
Policy: Upon recognition by the Preclinical Academic Subcommittee that a student will be awarded a temporary grade of "Incomplete (I)", the chair of the Preclinical Academic Subcommittee will send immediate written notification (via certified mail) to the student and copies of the Associate Dean for Students, School of Medicine Registrar, and the Course Director. The grade of I will require all missing course work to be completed within 8 weeks from the last official day of the course. This policy and procedure will apply to all required courses taken during the first and second year of medical school.
1. An Incomplete (I) Grade results when one or more essential component of the course has yet to be completed.
2. Notification Procedure: A copy of the correspondence will be sent to the following:
- Associate Dean for Students
- School of Medicine Registrar
- Course Director
3. Terms of Remediation:
- Time limit for Remediation: The student has 8 weeks from the last official day of the course to complete remediation. The course director will determine the mechanism for remediation of the course. If remediation is not completed within 8 weeks, then the student will automatically receive a failing grade.
- Continuation of Courses: The student will be allowed to continue with his/her courses, as long as the courses do not require the incomplete course as a prerequisite.
- Advancement to Courses Requiring the Incomplete Course as Prerequisite: The student must resolve the incomplete grade prior to beginning any required course requiring the uncompleted course as a prerequisite.
- Incomplete Grade for Non-Academic Reasons. For an incomplete grade given for "non-academic" reasons, remediation must be completed within 8 weeks of the last official day of the course. Failure to complete all course requirements within 8 weeks from the last official day of the course will result in a grade of WP or WF.
4. Halt of Academic Progression:
- Additional Grades of Incomplete, Failure, or Withdrawal. If a student receives an additional grade of Incomplete, Failure, or Withdrawal prior to remediating an already existing incomplete grade, then the student will be required to remediate all incomplete grades and deficiencies prior to entering any additional coursework. Written notification to the student by certified return mail will also include notification to the Associate Dean for Students, the School of Medicine Registrar, and the Course Director. Usually this second deficiency will require a review by the appropriate promotion committee and a consideration to place the student on academic probation.
- Failure to Remediate. If remediation of the incomplete grade produces a failing grade for the course, then the student will be required to remediate the entire course. Academic credit will not be awarded until successful remediation is completed.
This policy and procedure was adopted by the Executive Faculty of the University of Alabama School of Medicine and approved by the Dean on October 26, 2001.