|Faculty in the Section of Surgical Oncology carry out comprehensive cancer patient care for a broad array of malignancies. This is often performed in collaboration with members from the Department of Radiation Oncology and the Division of Hematology/Oncology, making a variety of innovative diagnostic and therapeutic modalities available to the patients. The Section of Surgical Oncology treats patients with neoplasms arising in the breast, colon/rectum/anus, endocrine glands (thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pancreas), esophagus, head & neck, lymph nodes, skin (melanoma and non-melanoma), salivary glands, soft tissues (sarcoma)
Services offered include :
Surgical services offered include, but are not limited to the following diseases or disorders:
- consultation for primary or second opinion
- lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy
- breast conservation therapy
- complex laparoscopic procedures for tumors and associated conditions of the adrenal glands, colon, small intestine, spleen
- hepatic tumor therapy including intra-arterial infusion pump (HAIP), radiofrequency ablation (RFA), cryotherapy
- complex procedures for tumors and associated conditions of the upper aerodigestive tract
- thyroid cancer surgery and Iodine 131 therapy
- isolated limb perfusion
- clinical research protocols for treatment and prevention, studies include unique UAB protocols as well as multi-institutional programs through CALGB, ACSOG, RTOG, NSABP, and the NCI
Gastrointestinal cancers - esophagus cancer, stomach cancer, liver cancer, pancreas cancer, bile duct cancer, colon cancer and rectum cancer; soft tissue sarcoma; endocrine diseases - thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas and adrenal. GI surgery - novel laparoscopic approaches to adrenalectomy and splenectomy
Interests: Neoplasms of the gastrointestinal tract - esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas, bile duct, colon and rectum; soft tissue sarcoma; spleen; endocrine diseases - thyroid, parathyroid and pancreas
Martin J. Heslin, M.D.
J. Pablo Arnoletti, M.D.
Interests: Pancreatic cancer, pancreatic and bile duct tumors, liver metastasis from colorectal cancer, clinical trials in cancer treatment, laparoscopy and minimally invasive cancer surgery, esophageal and gastric cancer, colorectal cancer, gastrointestinal stromal tumors and soft tissue sarcomas, adrenal tumors, splenectomy
Kirby I. Bland, M.D.
Interests: Benign breast disease, malignant breast disease, breast cancer risk assessment, and breast cancer prevention
Helen Krontiras, M.D.
Interests: Surgical oncology, breast cancer, breast carcinoma, melanoma, sarcoma
Marshall M. Urist, M.D.
Interests: Endocrine diseases, hepatobiliary and pancreatic malignancies, neoplasms of the gastrointestinal tract, soft tissue sarcoma, melanoma and spleen. Multidisciplinary treatment of gastrointestinal cancers. Research in pancreatic cancer, thyroid cancer, and hepatic colorectal metastases
Interests: Endocrine surgery - thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal and pancrease; Splenectomy for hematologic disorders; Neoplasms of the gastrointestinal tract - esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas, bile duct, colon and rectum; Soft tissue sarcoma; Melanoma.
Thomas N. Wang, M.D., Ph.D