Recognizing that alcohol abuse is a major health problem among young adults in the United States, the School of Medicine requires safeguards to preclude alcohol consumption that impairs function.
- These procedures supplement but do not supersede University Policies related to alcohol.
- Any alcohol served must be purchased from and served by a licensed vendor.
- This must be provided on a cash bar basis only.
- Paid security staff must be provided.
- No advertisement or announcement of the event may make any references direct or implied to alcohol.
- Snacks, foodstuffs, and alternative beverages (more than just water) must be freely available.
- Clear signage near the exit(s) must indicate the phone number to call for a taxi.
- Student Officers of the organization sponsoring the event are responsible to ensure that these policies are enforced.
- Additional requirements may be put in place for specific events.
o UAB General Policy Regarding the Use and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages. http://www.iss.uab.edu/Pol/BeveragesAtab.pdf
o Academic Programs Alcoholic Beverage Policy
o Drug Free Campus Policy for Students
o UAB Counseling and Wellness Center Virtual Pamphlets Alcohol and Substance abuse.