Emergency Medicine Interest Group
**Please check out our new website at http://uabemig.googlepages.com/ for the latest updates about the UAB Emergency Medicine Interest Group! The site is updated regularly, so check back often.
The EMIG at UASOM exists to introduce interested students to the field of Emergency Medicine. Our mission is to give students a forum to discuss issues relating to EM and to provide opportunities to practice clinical skills relevant to the practice of EM.
For the 2008-2009 academic year, we are planning a variety of informational lunches addressing common questions about EM. Topics under consideration include the following:
· What is the difference between academic and community EM?
· Do people really “burnout” in EM?
· What does it mean to work in a Level I trauma center?
· As an EM physician, do I work in a private practice or am I an employee of the hospital?
· What is EMTALA and what does it mean for EM physicians?
In addition to free lunches, we anticipate two hands-on clinical skills workshops, one on the most common suture techniques used in the ED, and another at UAB Hospital’s state-of-the-art simulation lab to practice resuscitation procedures including emergent intubation.
Click here for photos, upcoming EMIG events, and links for more information about the field of emergency medicine in general.