Scholarship Tracking & Advising Resource (STAR): https://star.uab.edu
Graduate Fellowships Advisory Program
Even though the name of the program is "Graduate Fellowships" the mentoring and advising process starts with undergraduates.
- Prestigious scholarship winners carry recruitment and advertising currency for the institution. Smart, driven winners are often powerful motivators for fellow students. The program showcases UAB winners on campus and in the community while raising UAB's profile.
- It is essential candidates have polished applications. The program assists faculty and suitable candidates submit strong applications to nationally competitive scholarships which are experiencing increasing demands due to a rise in competition. The structured program reduces the frenetic "last minute" attempt to put together a strong application.
Services offered by the Fellowships Advisory Program
- Information about nationally competitive scholarships
- Public presentations to disseminate information about nationally prestigious scholarships.
- Resources and advice on the application process.
- Examples of successful applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation
- Advice to faculty on writing strong letters of recommendation.
- Network of faculty liaisons
- Clearing house and quality assessor for fellowship applications.
- Organizer of trial interviews for potential winners.
- Administrative assistance for obtaining transcripts and sending materials.
- Maintenance of database of winners.
- Publicity to showcase the winners' achievements and recognize mentors.
Developments in 2008-2009:
- The implementation of comprehensive fellowships advising and tracking software, Scholarships Tracking & Advising Resource (STAR), will assist both students and faculty in the scholarship application process.
- A 7 week structured professional course in "scholarship preparation" for selected juniors, seniors and graduate students. On completion of the course, students will have prepared a full draft application. (Fall 2009)
Nelleke Bak, PhD, Director, email@example.com, 934-1259, Hill Center, room 470G