UAB Chapter Information
(effective Fall 2004)
Associate (non-initiated) Members
· Must fill out associate membership application
· Must pay one time associate membership fee ($15.00)
Active (initiated) Members
· Must be an associate member for at least one semester prior to initiation
· Must attend four meetings in the semester prior to initiation
· Must participate in two AED community service events per semester
· Must participate in two AED fundraising events per semester
· Must have completed at least 45 semester hours of coursework
· Must fill out active membership application
· Must pay one time active membership fee
· Must have 3.2 overall GPA and 3.2 science GPA
· Must accumulate at least 15 AED points per year to remain in good standing
Benefits of Active Membership:
· Members gain valuable knowledge about various health professions from guest speakers and through many volunteer and observational experiences offered through AED.
· Active membership (or lack of) is discussed in the letter of good standing, which is part of the composite evaluation sent to all schools to which a student applies.
· Students are expected to discuss AED involvement during professional school interviews (especially medical school).
· Members in good standing may vote on and/or hold AED offices.
Meetings and Activities:
· General meetings will be held on Monday evenings at 7pm in the Hill University Center. (twice per month)
· Brown Bag Lunches will be held at noon on the first Friday of the month in the Hill University Center.
· Volunteer activities and other activities will be scheduled throughout the year.
· Initiation will be scheduled in Spring Term
For additional information about the pre-health program at UAB, please contact
Linda Luck, Pre-Health Program Manager
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Hill University Center, Suite 318
1400 University Blvd.
Birmingham, AL 35294-1150