In addition to student contact and descriptive information, applications must include the following:
1) Co-authors (if any). Students are permitted to work in groups for their projects. However, each student in the group must be included on the original application under the “co-author” section (When inputting the names of coauthors please separate with a comma). All student co-authors are strongly encouraged to present with lead author.
2) Project Title. This will appear in the UAB Expo program on presentation day and must clearly state the main idea or overall purpose of the project. The title should be as concise as possible.
3) Project Description/Abstract/Creative Statement. Your application should include a brief description (no more than 1500 characters) that presents a succinct overview of your research or creative project. Abstracts, Project Descriptions and Creative Statements may be used on the OUR website for future Expo days.
4) Work-in-Progress. The aim of the Work-in-Progress venue is to showcase work that is ongoing, but still in the early stages.This provides an opportunity for student presenters to receive valuable feedback and potential guidance from informal discussion with faculty and students.This may be, for example, work that is still in the design phase or the first experiment in a series of experiments. This is also an opportunity to present new findings or other types of innovative or thought-provoking work. Just as the other presentations, a student wishing to present a "Work in Progress" will be required to present their work using one of the previously discussed presentation formats.
5) Faculty Mentor. All student work must be overseen by a faculty advisor who works in their particular field. The OUR office will contact your mentor directly via email to solicit her or his endorsement for your participation in the UAB Expo.
6) Hometown Newspaper. If you grant permission for the Office for Undergraduate Research to contact your hometown newspaper, please type in the name of the local publication.