The Department of Academic Programs and Policy has three main areas of responsibility within the University of Alabama at Birmingham academic community:
- Undergraduate academic programs;
- Academic policies and procedures; and
- Administrative support services and programs.
Within these three broad areas, the department performs the following tasks:
- Assists the schools and departments in the areas of general academic affairs administration, which includes undergraduate catalog development, academic programs, student success, academic policies and procedures, course evaluation and articulation, the university-wide curriculum system and the web-based degree audit system (CAPP).
- Works collaboratively with university administration and undergraduate programs in new program development, including majors, minors and specializations.
- Provides a variety of academic student services including review of exceptions to academic policy requests, placement testing and coordination of computer-graded exams and student ratings of instructions.
- Provides administrative support for a number of university and state-wide committees regarding undergraduate curriculum (i.e., Undergraduate Programs Council, special committees, outside agencies and the Alabama General Studies Curriculum Committee).
- Maintains, operates and schedules a number of university-wide general purpose buildings (Cudworth Hall, Marshall Conference Center, IITS Teaching Facility) and schedules all university-wide general use classroom space (Resource/Schedule 25)
- Provides support in special projects, analysis, and resource allocation (special projects, CORD, BACHE, New Horizons, and the Alabama Small Business Development Consortium).