First-Time Entering UAB Students
Complete and submit the following form: First-Time Entering UAB Students Health History Form
The University of Alabama at Birmingham requires the following vaccinations:
- All students born after 1956 without laboratory evidence of disease must have had 2 doses of MMR at least 28 days apart with the first dose given after 12 months of age.
- If the student has never been immunized, two injections of the vaccine, at least 28 days apart, are required.
- Evidence of at least a single dose of Tdap for all students aged 11-64 is required.
- In the absence of proof of immunization, Tdap can be administered regardless of interval since the last tetanus-diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine.
- Adults should receive decennial Td boosters, beginning 10 years after receiving Tdap.
- Meningitis Vaccination
- Proof of the meningitis vaccination (Menactra, Menveo, or Menomune) must be provided.
- Students under the age of 21 years must provide proof of immunization against meningococcal meningitis since turning 16 years of age even if a vaccine dose was given at an earlier age.
- The booster dose can be administered any time after the 16th birthday.
- Tuberculosis screening
- Proof of tuberculosis screening within the last 6 months must be provided.
- Acceptable proof includes a PPD (skin test), or a Quantiferon (blood test).
- Individuals who have a history of a reactive skin test or positive blood test must provide a current chest x-ray (taken since their last positive TB test but within three months prior to enrollment) indicating that the person is free of active tuberculosis.
- If the individual has initiated or completed medical treatment for a positive skin or blood test, they are encouraged to provide documentation of such treatment.
- Individuals with a positive TB screening test may consult the UAB Student Health Services TB Testing Policy to view the required follow-up.
Enrolling students must show proof of these immunizations with either an official certificate of immunization, a photocopy of an immunization certificate, or written documentation from their physician.
Students in health related programs and certain graduate programs have additional requirements and these are outlined under the student's specific program (available on the Immunization website).
The UAB Student Health Service will provide such immunizations and titer testing on a fee-for-service basis for any student who needs to meet the UAB immunization or titer requirements. Students may choose to fulfill these requirements at the Jefferson County Health Department or a private physician.
Individual UAB Schools may impose additional immunization requirements as needed for their students.
Short term (3 months or less) clinical and International Students TB screening requirements can be accessed on the UAB Student Health Service Immunization website.
Exceptions to this policy will be made only for those students who can document medical or religious contraindications to the vaccine. Such documentation must be submitted to the appropriate admissions or registration office as indicated in the procedures to implement this policy.