UAB recognizes that some of its students may receive active duty orders and that you may have questions about your enrollment. The Veterans Services Office and the Office of Academic Programs and Policy offer several options for students who are being deployed and unable to complete their coursework. Whenever possible, we request that you explore these options before leaving campus.
- Consult with your instructor about finishing the course early or perhaps online.
- For example, you may be able to get credit for a course by taking test early or submitting your final paper online.
- If you are not able to complete a course, you may be able to receive a grade of Incomplete (“I”).
- This may be an option if you can reasonably expect to complete the course work. (See “Grading Policies and Practices” in the Progress Toward and Completion of a Degree in the UAB Course Catalog, which is available online at www.catalog.uab.edu.)
Military Leave of Absence
UAB supports students who are members of the United States armed forces and reserve units. An undergraduate or graduate student who is a member of the U.S. military, National Guard or other armed forces reserve unit who is called or ordered to active duty elsewhere may be granted a Military Leave of Absence (MLOA) from the University for the period of not more than five years, cumulatively. Students with the MLOA need not apply for readmission or pay readmission fees. The MLOA students are readmitted to UAB at the same academic status as before deployment. With notice from the student, the MLOA allows those students to preregister for classes during the early registration period prior to the term when they plan to return to campus.
If you have been ordered to active duty elsewhere, please review the information below.
Students Deployed before Classes Begin
- Complete the MLOA application. Students should complete the application prior to their departure. MLOA’s must be accompanied by a copy of the military orders indicating the date on which the student must report for active duty.
- Withdraw from your classes (see adding and dropping classes.)
Students Deployed after Classes Begin
- Complete the MLOA application. Students should complete the application prior to their departure from the University. MLOA’s must be accompanied by a copy of the military orders indicating the date on which the student must report for active duty.
- Students must contact the Office of Academic Programs and Policy, HUC 470, (205-934-9708 or www.app.uab.edu/appeals.asp), for a complete withdrawal from the current term. A full reduction in tuition and fees will be made; however, such refunds will first be applied to any outstanding obligations and to any scholarship, grant or loan the student has received for that term.
- Students receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid, HUC 317 (205-934-8223).
When you return to school at UAB
- If you completed an MLOA application, notify the Veterans Services Office of your intent to return to UAB and complete an Update form. After the notification process is complete, the MLOA allows students to preregister for classes during the early registration period prior to the term when they plan to return to campus.
- If you did not complete the MLOA application, you will need to contact the Office of Veterans Services, HUC 524 (or email email@example.com). You will need a copy of your military orders.
- If you have attended another college or university or taken the CLEP exam, you will need to submit official transcripts to update your record.
For More Information
Please call the Veterans Services Office at 205-934-8804 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 and 5:00 pm or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.