DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
Students receiving Chapter 35 benefits will receive a monthly check paid directly to the student.
- The veteran may apply online by completing VA Form 22-1990, VONAPP. Online applications are available on the VA website, www.GIBILL.va.gov.
- Mail any available supporting documentation which should include copies of the veteran's DD-214(s), activation orders and any paperwork verifying level of disability.
- Print a copy of the application and submit it to the UAB-VA office:
- E-mail email@example.com
- Fax 205-975-2497
- Mail to Veteran Recruitment and Student Services, HUC 531, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294-1150
- Hand deliver to 531 Hill University Center
- The VA will mail the dependent a Certificate of Eligibility. You must submit a copy of your certificate to the UAB-VA office to complete the VA application process.
- After you complete the Veterans Benefit Request Form, the UAB Certifying Officials will verify your enrollment and will send a certification form (Form 1995) to the regional VA office, Decatur, GA. You are not eligible to complete this form until you are coded as a VA student in the UAB system. (If you have questions, see one of the VA certifying officials in HUC 531.)