The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
Students receiving Chapter 1606 benefits will receive a monthly check paid directly to the student.
- You may apply online by completing VA Form 22-1990, VONAPP. Online applications are available on the VA website, www.GIBILL.va.gov.
- Mail any available supporting documentation which should include copies of NOBE - Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD-214(s), activation orders and enlistment contracts.
- Print a copy of your application and submit to the UAB-VA office:
- E-mail email@example.com
- Fax 205-975-2497
- Mail to Veteran Recruitment and Student Services, HUC 531, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294-1150
- Hand deliver to 531 Hill University Center
- If eligible, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility. You must submit a copy of your certificate to the UAB-VA office to complete the VA application process.
- If you are eligible for Advance Payment, you may request it at this time.
To receive an advance payment:
- You must have an advance payment request on file in the UAB-VA office
- You must be attending school at least half time
- There must be a break of at least 30 days before the start of the term
- AND VA must receive your enrollment certification at least 30 days before classes start
- After you complete the Veterans Benefit Request Form, the UAB Certifying Officials will verify your enrollment and will send a certification form (Form 1995) to the regional VA office, Decatur, GA. You are not eligible to complete this form until you are coded as a VA student in the UAB system. (If you have questions, see one of the VA certifying officials in HUC 531.)