The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill is effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
This program will pay eligible individuals':
- tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning.
The maximum rates for UAB are $291.67 per credit hour and $13,328 per term for fees.
- a monthly housing allowance* based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
The BAH for UAB is $1,138/month.
- an annual books & supplies stipend* of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
* Please check your percentage of eligibility to determine if you are eligible for all Post 9/11 benefits.
Veterans on Active Duty are not eligible for BAH or the books and supplies stipend.
- You may apply online by completing VA Form 22-1990, VONAPP. Online applications are available on the VA website, www.GIBILL.va.gov.
- Mail any available supporting documentation which should include copies of DD-214(s), activation orders and enlistment contracts.
- Print a copy of your application and submit to the UAB-VA office:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax 205-975-2497
- Mail to Veteran Recruitment and Student Services, HUC 531, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294-1150
- Hand deliver to 531 Hill University Center
- If eligible, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility. You must submit a copy of your certificate to the UAB-VA office to complete the VA application process.
- If you are eligible for Advance Payment, you may request it at this time.
To receive an advance payment:
- You must have an advance payment request on file in the UAB-VA office
- You must be attending school at least half time
- There must be a break of at least 30 days before the start of the term
- AND VA must receive your enrollment certification at least 30 days before classes start
- After you complete the Veterans Benefit Request Form, the UAB Certifying Officials will verify your enrollment and will send a certification form (Form 1995) to the regional VA office, Decatur, GA. You are not eligible to complete this form until you are coded as a VA student in the UAB system. (If you have questions, see one of the VA certifying officials in HUC 531.)
|UAB will bill VA for the percentage of tuition and fees that is their responsibility. You will not be charged late fees for the amount charged to VA.
|The VA will not pay for Housing or meal fees.
Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability Options
The Defense Department has announced its policy for transferring educational benefits to the spouses and children of service members under the "Post 9/11 GI Bill," which became effective as of August 1, 2009.
Eligible service members may make transfer designations by visiting this Web site: www.dmdc.osd.mil/TEB. The full transferability policy is available as a PDF here.
TEB and dependents' eligibility, how to apply, and other transfer information is available at this link, www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm.