Is all your hard work finally about to pay off? If you are about to graduate from UAB with either an undergraduate or graduate degree, check here for important information that will get you ready for your big day.
Fall Commencement will be held on Saturday, December 18, 2010, at the Bartow Arena (617 13th Street S).
- Bartow Arena opens for public seating at 12:30 p.m.
- Commencement begins promptly at 2:00 p.m
Students should report in cap and gown to the Wallace Gymnasium (corner of 6th Avenue and 13th Street S) no later than 1:15 p.m.
Specific details about preparing for Commencement will be e-mailed to graduating students no later than October 1, 2010.
- Please contact Barnes and Noble @ UAB at (205) 996-2665.
- There will be tables with cards and pencils in each line up area
- LEGIBLY complete a card by printing your name in block letters - this is the information presented to the reader who announces your name as you cross the stage
- Keep this card with you for presentation to the reader on stage
- Although we strongly discourage bringing personal items to the ceremony, a secured area will be available.
Items not retrieved by 4.30pm may be picked up at the UAB Police Department the following day
- UAB is not responsible for any lost or stolen items
- If you are an undergraduate student and believe you are eligible to graduate either Summa, Magna, Cum Laude or with Interdisciplinary Honors, go to the Honors Table located in each area
- They will confirm that you are eligible to graduate with honors and will give you a pre-printed card along with an honors cord to wear
- Undergraduate honors recipients also line up at the beginning of the line for each school
- The honors cord is yours to keep
- A professional photographer will be taking photographs of you receiving your diploma
- To receive a photograph, complete the reverse side of your card; a proof will be mailed to you
- There is no obligation to buy a photograph
- Spectators may bring cameras and video recorders into the Bartow Arena but no-one will be permitted on the floor of the arena to film or take photographs during the ceremony
- Pictures and videos must be taken from the spectator’s seat
- No gathering in the portals of the arena will be allowed
Family and friends
- NO TICKETS are required for guests attending Commencement and there is no limit to the number of guests which each student may invite
- Seating is first come, first served, and the Arena doors open at 8:00 AM for the 9:30 AM ceremony and at 1:00 p.m. for the 2:00 PM ceremony.
- Special arrangements have been made for persons with valid handicap permits
- All other people should park either in the student car parks (if they have the applicable permits) or use the metered street spaces
- A designated area with seating for guests in wheelchairs is available. Please use the 7th Ave South entrance to the Arena
- Guests who use wheelchairs may be accompanied by one companion in the designated wheelchair seating area
- Graduates who are unable to use stairs will have the opportunity to meet for a "practice" run-through at Bartow Area. This will allow an opportunity to use the wheelchair lift and practice crossing the stage. For date/time and additional information, please contact DSS at 934-4205
- Guests who may have other mobility or health issues are advised to arrive when the arena opens, when the availability of seating is greatest
- Please also note that there will be no wheelchairs available in the Bartow Arena; guests requiring a wheelchair must supply their own
- Limited parking for persons with valid handicapped parking decals is available in UAB Lot 24 (13th St South between University Blvd and 6th Ave South). 13th St South will be closed but appropriate vehicles may enter for parking in Lot 24 from University Blvd
If you have questions regarding Commencement, please call the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at 934-6290.