Every woman who joins a sorority becomes a member of the Panhellenic Association. Panhellenic unites every sorority woman regardless of individual affiliation, and it was created to unite sorority women to strengthen their values and establish common goals. Panhellenic exists on both a national and local level. In the college system there is a Panhellenic Association, of which each new member or initiate is represented.
The Panhellenic Council is a group of representatives from each sorority that guides the Panhellenic Association. In the past, Panhellenic has provided many programs addressing women's issues. They have sponsored speakers on hazing, eating disorders, risk management and alcohol, etiqette, and self-defense. Issues such as these are ones that women face today. Panhellenic strives to provide information to further ones knowledge and understanding.
Nickname: Alpha Gam
Founded: May 30, 1904 (Syracuse University)
Installed at UAB: 1978
Motto: “Inspire the Woman. Impact the World.”
Colors: Red, Buff, and Green
Philanthropy: The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation
Founded: January 2, 1897 (Barnard College)
Installed at UAB: 1987
Motto: “Exceed the Expectation”
Philanthropy: Arthritis Research
Nickname: Alpha Xi
Founded: April 17, 1893 (Lombard College)
Installed at UAB: 1996
Motto: "Realize Your Potential”
Colors: Double Blue (Light and Dark Blue) and Gold
Mascot: BetXi Bear
Philanthropy: Autism Speaks
Founded: December 1873 (Lewis School for Girls)
Installed at UAB: 1991
Motto: “Do Good”
Colors: Bronze, Pink and Blue
Philanthropy: Service for Sight
Being in a sorority is NOT what you see on TV and in movies
Yes, there are social functions, fraternity men and visitors from the inter/national organization, but life does not revolve around these things. It is so much more!
What it is
- A life-long support system that provides career opportunities and networking opportunities during college and in the real world
- An organization that values philanthropy and community service
- A place where women learn to be leaders
- A place to meet amazing friends who will always be there for you when you need them
- A place to enjoy formal dances, date parties and other fun social events
What it is NOT
- A place that puts your looks and wardrobe ahead of your values and personality
- Full of ditzy girls who are only out to have a good time
- A place that will haze you or make you do things against your will
- Full of rich, spoiled and snobby girls
- A place that is only interested in your money while you're in school and will forget about you after you graduate
Sorority recruitment is a great experience!
During recruitment you get to meet new people on your campus and be exposed to a new opportunity for involvement. Here is some advice to help you through the recruitment process:
- Be yourself.
- Have genuine and honest conversations.
- Spend time really getting to know the members.
- Expose yourself to the chapter experience.
- Look for the group where you feel most comfortable.
- Keep an open mind.
- Trust the process.
- Have fun.
Go through the entire recruitment process knowing that you will meet countless remarkable women who may be your friends no matter what sorority you join.
Helping you reveal the best you during recruitment! http://suresister.com
Joining a sorority is a great way to get involved on campus. Here at UAB, the Panhellenic Council is comprised of four Sorority Chapters.
Formal recruitment will take place August 25-28, 2011. The registration deadline is August 19. If you would like more information, you can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (205)934-8020.
For more information:
Join us on
Visit: Hill University Center 440
Office of Student Involvement
1530 3rd Ave S
Birmingham, AL 35294