The inaugural class of the UAB Athletics Hall of Fame will be honored during a banquet Friday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. at The Club. Tickets to the event, which is open to the public, are $60 per person. Reserved tables of eight can be purchased for $500. The event will include dinner and feature the inductees and special guests. Call the UAB Athletic Ticket Office at 975-8221 to order.
The UAB Athletics Hall of Fame has been created to recognize the contributions of individuals whose participation in Blazer athletics has brought distinction and honor to the program.
|Former UAB President Dick Hill, left, shares a laugh with former Athletics Director Gene Bartow. Bartow will be inducted in the UAB Athletics Hall of Fame on Oct. 2.
The inaugural class includes:
• Gene Bartow, men’s basketball coach from 1978-96 and director of athletics from 1978-2000
• S. Richardson Hill, UAB president from 1977-86
• Wanda Hightower Jordan, women’s basketball student athlete from 1978-82
• Oliver Robinson, men’s basketball student athlete from 1978-82
• Jerry D. Young, senior vice president for finance from 1974-83 and key supporter of UAB athletics
“We are delighted to institute an Athletics Hall of Fame, and it is especially fitting that we honor the five individuals who have been selected for our inaugural Hall of Fame class,” says Brian Mackin, director of Athletics. “All five of them have played integral parts in the development and success of UAB Athletics, and we are honored to recognize them in this way.”
The five members also will be honored during the Blazer’s Thursday, Oct. 1 football game against Southern Miss. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Legion Field.