All fall courses will be issued a virtual classroom section in BlackBoard Vista 4.
Here are a few tips and some information to get started.
Prepare your computer using the OS-specific setup guide.
Course sections may be accessed beginning Aug. 13 by the official instructor of record (as assigned in Banner) through BlazerNet Courses and Training Tab www.uab.edu/academiccourses.
Enter default course section content and settings:
• The course will open to students Aug.19
• The course will close to students Dec. 11
• A standard course template will be assigned to each section: use it, modify it or replace it. Please see additional information below.
Request changes to default content and settings using the Course Update Request Form.
What is the standard course template?
This template will introduce or reiterate helpful information to students about navigating the online course. Folders and modules include:
• A Resources and Links Learning Module contains documentation on the UAB Academic Honor Code, a link to the QEP: Writing at UAB, a file titled How to Request an Online Journal and a few rules and regulations in Net Etiquette. Also included are a links to resources such as the Lister Hill Mervyn Sterne libraries, AskIT Helpdesk and the UAB Student Guide.
• Blackboard Vista Student Resources is a link for students that addresses the technical aspects of working online.
• General Discussion is an online meeting area for students to discuss various topics.
• General Chat is a room for students to use synchronous chat and illustration features.
There are many ways that UAB faculty can use the Blackboard Vista 4 system to support personal teaching and learning practices: add the course syllabus, key content/handouts, your contact information (including your office hours) and contact information for technical support (e.g. AskIT 996-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Training is available for those who want to learn more about designing and developing a course section. Please visit the ITIT Calendar of Training and Education and the Faculty Development Opportunities thru the Office of Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Affairs.