UAB has received $600,000 from National Science Foundation to pilot a Bridge to Teaching Fellowship program to encourage minority graduate students to become teachers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
“The $20,000 stipend, tuition, fees, housing allowance, master’s degree and teaching certificate should make it most attractive to students,” says Louis Dale, Ph.D., vice president for Equity and Diversity, who also is the principal investigator for the grant.
The start date for the program is Jan. 2, 2007, and interested participants are encouraged to apply for the 17 available slots.
The Bridge to Teaching Fellowship Program offers
• A $20,000 stipend
• Full graduate tuition, fees and housing allowance
• An assigned faculty mentor
• The option of a 12- or 18- month plan leading to a master’s degree and teacher certification
• A diverse and interactive education environment with state-of-the-art programs and support
• The opportunity to study with students from LSAMP institutions from across the country
• A 14-week, full-time, student-teaching schedule
• Job-placement opportunities
Eligible students must have received a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from an LSAMP institution (such as UAB) and have a recommendation from program faculty or staff. Candidates also must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and be accepted into the UAB Graduate School.
LSAMP is an acronym for Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation, an NSF-funded, comprehensive, multidisciplinary, undergraduate program designed to increase the quantity and quality of under-represented students pursuing degrees and careers in STEM disciplines. UAB is a founding institution of the Alabama LSAMP, which was initiated in 1991.
Applicants can pick up a copy of the Alabama LSAMP Bridge to Teaching Fellowship Program application in Dale’s office, Campbell Hall Room 401, or e-mail email@example.com for an electronic copy. Mail completed applications to:
Louis Dale, Ph.D., Principal Investigator
Alabama LSAMP Bridge to Teaching Fellowship Program
1530 3rd Ave. S., CH 401
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170