There is a new face on 20th Street, and it’s offering those who love UAB more space, convenience and visibility.
The UAB Office of Alumni Affairs officially moved into its new offices in the old University Federal Credit Union Building on 20th Street South between Fifth and Sixth avenues during late July. It hosted an open house and hot dog luncheon Sept. 8 – with some 335 employees and alumni in attendance – to celebrate the kickoff of UAB’s home football schedule.
“It was the perfect event for us to show off our new location and new offices — something every graduate can be proud of,” says Becky Watson, assistant vice president for alumni affairs and annual giving.
“We’re here to assist our alumni, faculty and staff, and it was nice to get an opportunity to invite them in to see the convenience of the new Alumni Affairs office.”
Being a member of the National Alumni Society offers many benefits to UAB alumni, faculty and staff, as well as other supporters and longtime friends of the university. Employees can join the alumni society for a discounted rate of $35 — a savings of $15 off the standard fee.
“When you join the UAB National Alumni Society you will be playing a key role in providing more than $300,000 a year in scholarships and grants to UAB students and faculty,” says Watson. “And it’s payroll-deductible.”
Among the many benefits of joining the alumni society:
• Compass Mortgage benefits that enable you to receive a free appraisal valued at $350 on first-time residential loans.
• Affordable travel opportunities that enable you to stay in world-class condominium resorts in over 80 countries for only $349 per week.
• A 15 percent discount on choice hotels.
• The opportunity to join, at a discounted rate Medjet Assist, which enables those hospitalized more than 150 miles from home to receive air transportation to the hospital of their choice 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Affordable group life, health and short-term major medical insurance.
Those who join also receive a gold lapel pin, the UAB Alumni magazine and invitations to all special events and other benefits.
Membership in the National Alumni Society currently stands at 7,865, and membership has grown 300 percent during the past three years. The alumni society also gives more than $300,000 in student scholarships and grants every year. It also participates in the Ellen Gregg Ingalls/UAB National Alumni Society Award for Lifetime Achievement in Teaching award and presents an Outstanding Academic Advisor Awards each year.
To join the UAB National Alumni Society or learn more, visit www.alumni.uab.edu . You also can contact the UAB National Alumni Society office at 934-3555. Here’s your chance to be a part of something BIG.