The Science and Technology Honors Program is seeking an associate director within the UAB community.
The program, begun in 2005 and currently in a period of rapid growth, is designed for outstanding undergraduates who aspire to become developers of new knowledge in their scientific or technical discipline. It provides academic and experiential preparation for research through a series of seminars and laboratory courses.
The associate director will assume responsibility for components of the program and will work as a partner with the director and the program manager to further develop the potential of this program.
Responsibilities of the associate director:
• Contribute to teaching the Science and Technology Honors Program curriculum through some combination of teaching existing courses, developing new courses, serving as course master for program seminars, and identifying opportunities to integrate Science and Technology Honors courses with existing courses.
• Pursue opportunities for extramural funding of program initiatives.
• Assist students in identifying research opportunities and monitor student progress during honors thesis research.
• Collaborate with the program manager and program director to develop and implement additional recruiting strategies, including those that target talented minority students.
• Develop experiential learning opportunities related to the theme of the program.
The successful candidate will possess a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree. Experience in honors education and/or interdisciplinary activities is desirable. Effective administrative experience in a university setting is preferred. A tenured faculty position within an academic unit at UAB is preferred.
The associate director of the Science and Technology Honors Program is a 12-month position, reporting to the director of the program. The appointment can begin Oct. 1.
Faculty who are interested in applying should forward a copy of their curriculum vitae and a letter describing their qualifications for and interest in the position to Diane Tucker, Ph.D., director, Science and Technology Honors Program, 100 OB9A, ZIP 1414 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications are due Aug. 31.