This is a clarification of the impact of the UAB Forgiveness Policy and the relationship of that policy to students enrolled in the School of Nursing (SON):
- Since repeating courses had been linked to lack of success within the nursing program, the UAB Forgiveness Policy can be applied only to pre-nursing (Freshman and Sophomore) level course work. The School of Nursing strongly recommends limiting the number of forgiveness options utilized in all courses that precede admission into the nursing program (implementation of this option is NOT recommended for more than one course).
- The grade achieved on the second attempt of a BSN Foundation course is utilized to calculate the BSN Foundation GPA.
- The Forgiveness policy can NOT be applied to any course with a NUR-prefix.
- A Nursing course (any course with an NUR-prefix) may be repeated only once.
- According to SON policy, the total number of withdrawals from courses assigned nursing (NUR) designations is limited to two (2) throughout the undergraduate program of study. Only one withdrawal is allowed for any individual nursing course (clinical or non-clinical).
- A student achieving a second “D” or “F” in a nursing (NUR) course is not eligible to continue in the nursing program and will be permanently dropped from the School of Nursing.