Individuals who have completed a previous undergraduate degree, outside the field of nursing and who meet the UAB criteria for regular undergraduate admission are eligible to apply for admission to the BSN program.
Second Degree Applicant Requirements
• Earned a bachelor's degree in a major other than nursing.
• First degree granted by a regionally accredited institution.
• First degree must have been based on at least 120 Semester Hours of coursework.
BSN Admission Process
To apply to the BSN program in the School of Nursing at UAB, two different applications are submitted:
(1) UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions
(2) UAB School of Nursing
• Admission as a second degree nursing student through the UAB Office of Undergraduate admissions is the first step toward a major in nursing. Admission is based on prior college coursework. The on-line application for the UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions is available at Application for UAB Undergraduate Admissions.
• Once admitted as an undergraduate pre-nursing student to UAB, the student is notified through an offer of admission letter to contact their assigned Pre-Nursing Advisor in the Office of General Studies at (205) 934-6135 for pre-nursing academic advisement. Advisement with the assigned Pre-Nursing Advisor is a requirement for application to the School of Nursing.
• At the scheduled appointment, the Pre-Nursing Advisor will review the student's academic record, including an evaluation of any previous college course work, to establish a plan for the sequencing of any pre-nursing courses that need to be completed before admission to the School of Nursing. The Pre-Nursing Advisor will also explain the requirements and process for admission to the BSN Program as a Second-Degree Student.
• When the student has either completed the required pre-nursing courses or is in the last semester of pre-nursing courses, the student is issued the School of Nursing (SON) BSN application by their assigned Pre-Nursing Advisor.
• The student completes the SON application and submits the application and all additional application material to the SON Student Affairs Office by the application deadline.
• Submission of an application to the School of Nursing with requested supporting documents by the posted deadline.
• Completion of all nursing prerequisites.
• A minimum grade of "C" in each pre-nursing course and a GPA of at least 2.75.
• Admission decisions will be based on the applicant's academic record, supporting documents, and BSN application at the time of the application deadline.
• Applicants are strongly encouraged to provide proof of work/volunteer experience in a healthcare setting as part of the application process. This experience is not required for admission but may factor into the admission decision.
Prior to Enrollment
• CPR certification as a health care professional
• Medical clearance from UAB Student Health Services
BSN Admission Requirements and BSN Curriculum for Second Degree Students