RN-BSN Educational Mobility Program Admission Process and Criteria
The RN-BSN Educational Mobility Program (RNEMP) is designed for registered nurses with either an associate's or diploma in nursing. The RNEMP is open to any RN who has submitted evidence of successful completion of a nursing program and who is licensed to practice as an RN.
Admission Process for RN Mobility Program
- Contact RN Mobility Program Coordinator PRIOR to applying to UAB (Recommended).
- Apply to UAB as an undergraduate through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Pre-RN Mobility student.
- Notify RN Mobility Program Coordinator when you have been accepted to UAB for the application to the RN Mobility program. (NOTE: Acceptance to UAB as an undergraduate student is NOT admission to the RN Mobility program.) The completed application to the RN Mobility program must be returned to the RN Mobility Program Coordinator.
Admission Requirements to RNEMP
- Advisement from the RN-Mobility Program Coordinator in the School of Nursing.
- Admission grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- A grade of at least "C" in Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Microbiology, Descriptive Statistics and an elective (Area V courses).
- Evidence of successful completion of an accredited diploma or associate degree nursing program and a current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state in which you will do your student practicum.
- Successful completion of all general studies prerequisite courses and a minimum of 59 semester hours.
Additional Requirements for RN-BSN-MSN in Good Standing
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; or on the last 60 hours
- Students in the RN-BSN-MSN option must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and follow their approved curriculum plan.
- Combined score of 1000 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record (GRE) Examination or a combined score of 1500 on all three portions, or a score of 480 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or a score of 410 on the Millers Analogies Test (MAT). The test scores submitted to UAB from the GRE, GMAT, or MAT must not be more than 5 years old.
GRE/GMAT/MAT -- Waiver Process for degree seeking MSN students
GRE -- Graduate Record Examination
GMAT-- Graduate Management Admission Test
MAT -- Miller Analogies Test
GRE, MAT, GMAT are waived for students with a 3.2 or better GPA.
The GRE/GMAT/MAT Waiver Process allows eligible candidates for masters' study to have the requirement of satisfactory GRE, GMAT or MAT scores waived for admission if the student has a BSN Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Two letters of professional reference attesting to the applicants potential for graduate study; and
- A pre-admission interview with a graduate faculty member
- When the student has completed the required pre-nursing courses, the student is issued the School of Nursing (SON) BSN application by his/her assigned Pre-Nursing Advisor.
- The student completes the SON application and submits the application and all additional application material to the SON Student Affairs Office by the application deadline.
- Admission decisions will be based on the applicant's academic record and the BSN application at the time of the application deadline.
Prior to Enrollment
- CPR certification as a health care professional
- Medical clearance from UAB Student Health Services
How do I get more information?