The UASON, as part of a research university and academic health center, prepares nurse leaders to excel as clinicians, researchers, and educators; and advances knowledge and the delivery of high quality health care in Alabama and worldwide.
To be a dynamic and innovative leader, raising the quality of health care and expanding the educated nursing workforce in Alabama and worldwide
The Alabama Legislature authorized a collegiate school of nursing at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa in 1949 and provided funds for its support. The School of Nursing was established in 1950 and moved in 1967 from the Tuscaloosa campus to Birmingham. At that time, the school became a component of the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
With establishment of the School of Nursing on the Tuscaloosa campus in 1950, two programs were inaugurated. These were a four-year program for the basic professional preparation of high-school graduates for nursing and a program for the professional preparation of graduate nurses for clinical teaching, supervision, ward administration, and advanced professional nursing. Both led to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. In 1952 a curriculum was added to prepare graduate nurses for generalized public health nursing.
A masters program leading to the Master of Science in Nursing degree was established, with the first students admitted in September 1955. Options at the masters level are preparation as a nurse practitioner, outcomes measurement and health care improvement, and clinical nurse specialist. The advanced practitioner major has two options: acute and continuing care, and primary care.
The DSN degree program was phased out in August 2005 in anticipation of the planned Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.