The Corporate Compliance Office serves as the “backbone” of the Hospital Compliance program and includes:
- A clear and well crafted mission;
- Sufficient staff, budget, training, authority, and autonomy to carry out its mission;
- Appropriate relationship with both general counsel and Internal Audit and regularly communicates with both.
- Support from a Compliance Committee of qualified representatives of each high risk functional department and senior management.
- Direct access to the Board and Senior Management through the Compliance Officer
- Independent authority to retain outside legal counsel
- A good working relationship between the Compliance Officer and key operational areas.
- Regular reports to the Board and other management concerning all aspects of the hospital compliance program.
The Corporate Compliance Department is led by a designated Corporate Compliance Officer, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer UAB Hospital / UAB Highlands, Michael R. Waldrum, MD, MS, a Director of Corporate Compliance/Entity Privacy Coordinator, three Compliance Managers, one Data Analyst and an Administrative Associate.