Fall of Freshman Year:
Identified as TRIO-eligible
Academic progress followed by Student Support Services Director and McNair Program Coordinator
End of Freshman Year: (After demonstration of academic potential)
Invited to apply and accepted to McNair Program
- Meet with program staff to identify major, course of study, and potential faculty mentors
- Receive counseling and advising related to future in undergraduate and graduate study
- Attend monthly speaker meetings and student skills seminars, and quarterly field trips to academic and industrial sites of interest (Industry Roundtable)
Summer after Sophomore Year:
- Research experience in area of personal interest (stipend $2,800), paired with both faculty and graduate student mentors, culminates in presentation of research at poster session and in abstract book
- Evaluated for GRE preparedness
Junior Year: (Sophomore-year activities continue)
- Pursue internship in field of personal research interest
- Discover and evaluate options for graduate study through literature study, advising, and campus visits
- Learn and examine career options
- Begin GRE study in earnest
- Identify potential funding sources for graduate study
- Attend poster session of next-year McNair Scholars
Senior Year: (Sophomore- and junior-year activities continue)
- Evaluated for graduate study by faculty mentor
- Complete GRE study, practice tests, and actual tests (General and Subject)
- Attend and help evaluate McNair poster session
- Identify and apply to graduate programs of interest
- After acceptance to graduate program, apply to identified funding sources
- After acceptance to program, attend selected graduate institution
- Report semi-annual progress to Recruitment, Retention, and Tracking Officer
- If studying at UAB, serve as graduate student mentor for other Scholars. If studying elsewhere, potentially return to UAB for presentations to other Scholars, students, and faculty.
- Attain Ph.D.
After Attaining Ph.D.
- Continue semi-annual tracking reports
- Potentially return to UAB for presentation at Career Workshops and other McNair and Graduate School activities
* This progression offers one possibility. The actual sequence of events may vary.