Periodic Funding Opportunities
Note: The University has not approved and does not endorse any of the content on sites outside the UAB domain.
Not all links are available outside the UAB domain.
Ongoing Funding Opportunities
- Graduate Fellowships Advisory Office
- Database of fellowships and guidelines on how to prepare a strong application
National Institute for Nursing Research
- The extramural program of NINR funds research and research training activities in a variety of public and private, profit and nonprofit organizations, including universities, hospitals, and research centers across the country.
The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- SPSSI is an international group of over 3500 psychologists, allied scientists, students, and others who share a common interest in research on the psychological aspects of important social issues.
NASA Office of Space Science
- Current, upcoming, and recently closed competitions for awards on space research.
American Statistical Association
- The ASA/NSF Research Fellowship supports interdisciplinary research in statistical methodology.
NASA Earth Science
- NASA's Earth Science Enterprise is dedicated to understanding the total Earth system and the effects of humans on the global environment.
National Highway Institute
- Universities and Grants Programs (U&GP) is responsible for university-based programs that are designed to attract and retain students and faculty from 550 universities and colleges to the field of transportation.
U.S. GLOBEC (GLOBal ocean ECosystems dynamics)
- A research program organized by oceanographers and fisheries scientists to address the question of how global climate change may affect the abundance and production of animals in the sea.
Society for Human Resource Management
- Supports broadly defined research in the area of human resource management for the purpose of advancing & developing higher performance standards for the profession.
National Foundation for the Improvement of Education
- Leadership Grants underwrite professional development opportunities for teachers, education support personnel, & higher education faculty & staff to prepare them for collegial leadership in teaching & learning.
The Henry A. Murray Dissertation Award Program
- Supports doctoral dissertations on some aspect of "the study of lives."
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Current information about funding from the CDC.
American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Funding sources are available in searchable databases for students and researchers at many levels.
American Lung Association
- Various types of funding are available for students and researchers at many levels.
East European Studies Short-Term Grants
- Offers short-term support (one month) for scholars with a particular need for library, archival, & other specialized resources located in Washington, DC.
National Sea Grant Federal Fellows Program
- Provides educational experience in the policies & processes of the legislative & executive branches of the federal government to graduate students in marine related fields.
The Hagley Museum and Library Funds Research and Dissertation Projects in American Business and Economics
- The Center for the History of Business, Technology and Society at the Hagley Museum and Library will fund research projects that address a wide range of issues concerning American business, industry and technological change since 1850. Research that compares conditions in the United States with a broader, international context is permissible.
The U.S. Institute of Peace Announces the Unsolicited Grants Program
- The U.S. Institute of Peace has announced its Unsolicited Grants Program to support research, education and training, and the dissemination of information on international peace and conflict resolution. Applications are due March 1 and October 1.
Fellowships at the Museum of Modern Art.
- Internships and fellowships for students of art history and other humanities fields.
The Rockefeller Foundation
- The Rockefeller Foundation concentrates its giving around eight strategic areas: agricultural sciences, arts and humanities, equal opportunity, global environment, health sciences, and population sciences.
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Funding opportunities for work that benefits veterans through health care.
Sigma Theta Tau International
- Research grants aimed at fostering excellence, scholarship, and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide.
The American Cancer Society
- The largest non-government funder of cancer research in the United States.
Tropical Research Institute: Fellowships
- The main fields of research are ecology, behavior & evolution of terrestrial, & marine organisms, archeology, paleontology & human ecology.
Coastal Management Fellowship Program
- Any student who has completed a master's, doctoral or professional degree program in coastal, marine or Great Lakes-related studies at any accredited U.S. institution of higher education in the previous year is eligible.
National Research Service Awards - Minority Predoctoral Fellowships
- Provides fellowships of up to five years for minority graduate students from all types of institutions for biomedical & behavioral research leading to a Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.
Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh Foundation
- Seeks to actively further a better balance between technology and the natural-human environment.
National Institute of Justice Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- Provides dissertation research support to outstanding doctoral students undertaking independent research on issues in the criminal justice field.
Fellowship Office Home Page
- The Fellowship Office of the National Research Council, a unit of the Office of Scientific and Engineering Personnel (OSEP), administers several predoctoral, dissertation, and postdoctoral fellowship programs, including Ford Foundation Fellowships for Minorities, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowships in Biological Sciences, and a new program, the U.S. Department of Education OERI Visiting Scholar's Program
Charles E. Culpeper Foundation, Biomedical Pilot Projects Initiative
- The Foundation provides support for its interests in three broad program areas: arts and culture, education, and health.
The Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation
- Current information about funding opportunities for work on OI.
The Foundation for Physical Therapy
- Funding to improve the quality of patient care.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Predoctoral Fellowships in Biological Sciences, Research Training Fellowships for Medical Students, and Postdoctoral Research Fellowships for Physicians
NSF International Opportunities for Scientists and Engineers
- For Graduate Students Enrolled in U.S. Institutions: Dissertation enhancement awards to facilitate research at overseas sites in collaboration with host country institutions; Summer Institutes in Japan and Korea and Research experiences in Western Europe; these activities provide opportunities to work in overseas laboratories and to initiate professional relationships with foreign scientists and engineers; Travel and living expenses to participate actively in the overseas aspects of research projects proposed to NSF by senior U.S. investigators.
NSF Graduate Research Fellowships
- Three-year graduate fellowships support study leading to a masters or a Ph.D. degree in science, mathematics, or engineering, or a research-based Ph.D. degree in science education. Students must be at or near the beginning of their graduate study.
American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- National fellowships support graduate level work in any area of family & consumer sciences.
National Estuarine Reserve Research Graduate Fellowships
- Supports graduate fellowships in estuarine management related research that enhances scientific understanding & public awareness of reserve environments.
- Social Science Research Council
- Pre- and postdoctoral fellowships, and disssertation funding
- Funding Opportunities for Training in the Biological and Medical Sciences
National Institutes of Health
- NIH Funding information, and links to the individual institute pages.
NIH Office of Extramural Research
- Funding opportutnities, guidelines, and application packets.
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- Advanced technology to streamline information from and application to NSF fellowships, pre- and postdoctoral.
The Foundation Center Online
- Fosters public understanding of the foundation field by collecting, organizing, analyzing, and disseminating information on foundations, corporate giving, and related subjects.
NIH Research Training Opportunities
- Incorporate information about intramural and extramural training opportunities of the 24 Institutes and Centers.
FinAid: The Financial Aid Information page
- A free, comprehensive, independent, and objective guide to student financial aid.
- A free, subscriber-based system that provides tools to help students locate funding.
Fellowship Programs Unit of the Office of Scientific and Engineering Personnel (OSEP)
- Administrators of Ford Foundation Fellowships for Minorities, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowships in Biological Sciences, U.S. Department of Energy Integrated Manufacturing Predoctoral Fellowships, NASA Administrator's Fellowship Program, and U.S. Department of Education OERI Visiting Scholar's Program.
Community of Science at UAB
- Information about individuals and about funding opportunities.
US Department of Education Grant Information.
- Information on grant and other programs at the Department, grant programs requesting applications, regulations for administering grant programs, and information for new grants seekers explaining the whats and hows of grants at the Department.
The Cornell University Graduate School Fellowship Notebook
- A database of fellowships, the majority from non-Cornell sources. Those interested in consulting the notebook are welcome to do so.