There are numerous accounting internship opportunities available for students who qualify. In addition to the professional experience gained, students receive academic credit and compensation for internships. Applications are accepted year round but applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Applying and Preparing
Accounting Internship Employers
• Three hours of course credit which counts as an accounting elective towards both your degree and CPA exam eligibility (Register for AC 464 or AC 564 on a pass/fail basis)
• Compensation (Varies but usually between $15-$25 per hour)
• Relevant entry-level staff accounting experience—tax, external audit, internal audit, corporate accounting (Usually fulltime—at least 360 hours of experience)
• Ability to make a more intelligent career decision and to be ahead of your peers who did not do internships when you start a regular fulltime position
• Future contacts and references/networking opportunities
Top of page
• Undergraduates: Completion of AC 300 AND 2.85 GPA in accounting courses, including Principles, AND 2.5 cumulative GPA
• Graduate Students: 3.0 GPA in accounting courses (includes all accounting courses taken at both the undergraduate and graduate levels)
Top of page
Applications are accepted year-round, but students are encouraged to apply early.
Spring Internships—preferably by January 15 of previous year- interviews are conducted during August and September
Summer Internships—January 15 of previous year for Big 4 CPA firm internships and December 1 of previous year for corporate internships- some interviews are conducted during August and September, others are held during the fall and spring semesters
Fall Internships—May 1 of same year-interviews are ususally conducted during the summer
How to Apply and Prepare
• Visit UAB Career Services in room 303 of the School of Business to obtain information about resumes, job searches, and interviewing
• Attend Mr. Lebeau’s Resume Writing seminar
• Complete the Internship Application and submit to Dr. Debbie Tanju (room 311C)
• Email your resume to Mr. Michael Lebeau at email@example.com and ask for his assistance in editing your resume
• E-mail your edited resume to Dr. Debbie Tanju at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Register on Dragon Trail - Enter BlazerNet, click on Student Resources tab and Enter the Dragon Trail located under Career Services towards the bottom of the screen. Whitney Wilson (205.934.9202), Employer Relations Specialist, can assist you
• Attend Mr. Lebeau’s Interviewing Skills and Job Search Strategies Seminars
• Participate in student organizations and activities such as Beta Alpha Psi meetings and the National Association of Black Accountants meetings. All students are strongly encouraged to attend the meetings and network with the CPA firm and corporate recruiters. Attendance at professional organization meetings (IIA, ACFE, ISACA, IMA, ASWA, etc.) is also encouraged.
• Attend Meet-the-Employers Night in September.
• Once you accept an internship offer, you can register for AC 464/564-00 (Accounting Internship) to obtain three hours of accounting elective course credit. Undergraduate interns submit a report about their internship experience. Graduate students submit a report and also make a presentation to a class.
Top of page
Debbie Tanju, Accounting Internship Coordinator, email@example.com or 934-8863
Michael Lebeau, Assistant Director, UAB Career Services, firstname.lastname@example.org or 934-9202
Whitney R. Wilson, Employer Relations Specialist, UAB Career Services, email@example.com or 934-9202
Top of Page