Leaving home doesn't have to mean leaving your family behind. UAB believes it's important to get your parents involved in your college career because their support and encouragement can be crucial factors in your academic success. Parent Orientation is an optional 1 1/2-day program, during each Fall Semester Orientation, designed to inform, answer questions, address concerns, help you adjust to a new environment, and welcome all of you into the UAB family. Even parents familiar with the UAB campus will learn something new at Parent Orientation. Each session offers a comprehensive introduction to UAB's services and resources, provides details on important policies, and includes valuable tips and insights every UAB parent should know. These sessions are not available during the Spring or Summer Transfer Sessions.
Parents will also:
- interact with UAB administrators, faculty, staff, and student Orientation Leaders;
- get expert advice on becoming the parent of a UAB student;
- get answers on everything from majors and degree requirements to financial aid, housing, meal plans, and more;
- visit residence halls and discover the advantages of living on campus; and
- develop a network of UAB friends by interacting with other parents.
The cost of Parent Orientation (ONE parent) is included in the $150 enrollment fee. More than 1 parent will be an additional $20 per person.