UAB offers an accident and illness insurance option for students who do not already have health insurance—and for those who do but want the benefit of additional services. The comprehensive student plan is provided through Viva Health, a member of the renowned UAB Health System.
If you choose student health insurance, your primary care physician will be part of the Student Health Service, or you will be referred to another UAB doctor.
- Full-time registered undergraduate students and non-health related graduate students taking a minimum of 5 credit hours are eligible.
- Continuous coverage is available if you meet these requirements each semester and keep your student account current.
- Non-degree seeking graduate students must take a minimum of 5 credit hours to participate.
- Health insurance is required for all students enrolled in the schools of Dentistry, Health Related Professions, Medicine, Nursing, and Optometry; all international students or scholars. These students will be automatically enrolled unless they sign a waiver.
- Spouses and children may be covered for an additional premium. Spouses will need to select a UAB doctor as a primary care physician, and children may choose a participating pediatric primary care provider.
How to Participate
- Call Viva Health Member Services at (205) 558-7474 or 1-800-294-7780 and request a student insurance packet. Be sure to ask any questions you might have.
- You must purchase the undergraduate plan each semester. To participate, you must enroll and pay for the insurance by the third day after the last day to add classes each semester.