Pictured in My Mind: An Experience in Visual Thinking
in support of the 2011 UAB Discussion Book,
Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures
TUESDAY, AUGUST 30, 6-8 pm
A great free event for UAB students, faculty, and staff. Open your mind with art, art activities, scavenger hunts, free food and book and poster giveaways!
5:00 pm Buses depart from Blazer Hall
6:00-6:20 pm Curator of Education Samantha Kelly will give an interactive talk on
visual thinking and how to engage with works of art, using examples
from the Museum's collection.
- Reception with Western/Cowboy/Tex-Mex theme
- Tortilla Chips, salsa, black bean dip, sour cream, guacamole
- Chicken fingers with 2 sauces
- Taquitos (chicken and black bean- 2 separate kinds)
- Flan or Cinnamon Crisps for dessert
- Limeade, tea, and water
- Coffee bar if budget permits
- Gift Shop open
- CD's of popular music with Western theme
- Scavenger Hunt using images from the collection of paintings and sculptures that have text included as a part of the image.
- Creative writing tour in the galleries at 6:45 and 7:30 pm
- Art activity: Thinking in Pictures
- We will have 4 tables set up with flashcards with proverbs written out that have been taken from our African-American quilt collection. Guests will see a phrase like: Don't bite the hand that feeds you, and then be asked to draw or collage the image which will be displayed close by so that people can see how everyone thinks differently. We will also have words cut out on paper so that the artwork can incorporate text and image.
FREE Admission for UAB STUDENTS to the special exhibition, Who Shot Rock and Roll. Faculty and staff may purchase a ticket to the exhibition for $8 at the door.
7:00 and 8:00 pm Buses depart from Museum returning to Blazer Hall.
This event is co-sponsored by the Birmingham Museum of Art, UAB Office of Student Life, and UAB Office of Core Curriculum Enhancement.
Click here for printable copy of event poster.
Click here for the Birmingham Museum of Art website.