Eligibility requirements for CaRES Internships: Only UAB graduate or medical students who are American citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. are eligible. You must be able to provide proof of age and resident status.
If you wish to apply for a CaRES Internship, please do the following:
1) Click on and read the description of each project listed below. Note that additional projects may be posted every few days.
2) For those projects that interest you, and for which you believe you are qualified, contact the preceptor(s) by phone or email and make an appointment to be interviewed. Be aware that each preceptor is encouraged to interview several applicants for his or her internship position before making a final choice.
3) Once a preceptor has chosen you, that preceptor will contact Dr. John Waterbor, Program Director, and notify him of your selection.
4) If you are chosen by a preceptor, you must also contact Dr. Waterbor to confirm that you accept the position. He can be reached at: (205) 934-7146, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be prepared to furnish him your resume' or c.v. via e-mail or fax it to his attention at (205) 934-8665.
5) Following your acceptance, the internship coordinator, Judy Baker (934-7128, email@example.com), will contact you to schedule a time when you can visit her to fill out the necessary personnel and payroll paperwork and receive your award letter. You must keep in touch with Ms. Baker throughout the summer in order to receive your stipend checks and to complete the required evaluation forms.
6) Can't find a CaRES internship position that suits you? If you have an idea for a cancer-related research project that can be completed in 8-16 weeks, identify an appropriate preceptor from among our UAB-CCC faculty, and approach him/her about being your preceptor. The faculty member (not you) must submit the project in the usual way via the CaRES Preceptor Application system. Once the project has been posted for 24 hours, the preceptor can select his/her intern (presumably you!).