1. Fritz WA, Eltoum I-E, Cotroneo MS, Lamartiniere CA. Genistein alters growth but is not toxic to the rat prostate. J Nutr 2002;132:3007-11.
2. Cope MB, Lubet RA, Eto I, Steele VE, Hill DL, Grubbs CJ. Prevention of methylnitrosourea (MNU)-induced mammary cancers by 9-cis-retinoic acid (9-cis-RA) and vitamin D3 given either alone or in combination. Onc Rep 2002;9:533-537.
3. Ebert SA, Tucker DC, Roth DL. Psychological resistance factors as predictors of general health status and physical symptom reporting. Psychol Health Med 2002;7:363-375.
4. Nagy TR, Krzywanski D, Li J, Meleth S, Desmond R. Effect of group vs. single housing on phenotypic variance in C57BL/6J mice. Obes Res 2002;10:412-5.
5. Watanabe N, Dickinson DA, Krzywanski DM, Iles KE, Zhang H, Venglarik CJ, Forman HJ. A549 subclones demonstrate heterogeneity in toxicological sensitivity and antioxidant profile. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2002;283:L726-36.
6. Dickinsin DA, Iles KE, Watanabe N, Iwamoto T, Zhang H, Krzywanski DM, Forman HJ. 4-hydroxynonenal induces glutamate cysteine ligase through JNK in HBE1 cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2002;33:974.
7. Powell CS, Blaylock ML, Wang R, Hunter HL, Johanning GL, Nagy TR. Effects of energy expenditure and Ucp1 on photoperiod-induced weight gain in collared lemmings. Obesity Res. 2002;10:541-50.
8. Gower BA, Nagy TR, Blaylock ML, Wang C, Nyman L. Estradiol may limit lipid oxidation via Cpt1 expression and hormonal mechanisms. Obesity Res. 2002;10:167-72.
9. Fritz WA, Wang J, Eltoum IE, Lamartiniere CA. Dietary genistein down-regulates androgen and estrogen receptor expression in rat prostate. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Jan 15; 186(1):89-99.
10. Chang PL, Tucker MA, Hicks PH Prince CW. Novel protein kinase C isoforms and mitogen-activated kinase mediate phorbol ester-induced osteopontin expression. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2002 Sep;34(9):1142-51.
11. Waterbor JM, Heimburger DC, Fish L, Etten TJ, Brooks CM. An interdisciplinary cancer prevention and control training program in public health. J Cancer Educ. 2002 Summer;17(2):85-91 Review.
12. Chhieng DC, Talley LI, Roberson JA, Gatscha RM, Jhala NC, Elgert PA. Interobserver variability: Comparison between liquid-based and conventional preparations in gynecology cytology. Cancer. 2002 Apr 25;96(2):67-73.
13. Larson RR, Khazaeli MB, Dillon HK. Monitoring method for surface contamination caused by selected antineoplastics agents. Am J Health-Sys Pharm. 2002 Feb 1;59(3):270-7.
14. Owen JE, Roth DL, Stevens AB, McCarty HJ, Clay OJ, Wadley VG, Goode KT, Haley WE. Association of life events and psychological distress in family caregivers of dementia patients. Aging Mental Health. 2002 Feb;6(1):62-71.
15. Rodríguez-Burford C, Steele VE, Anderson AS, Stockard CR, Weiss HL,Eto I, Johanning FL, Grizzle WE, Grubbs CJ. Effects of body weight gain reduction resulting from chemoprevention agent treatment on mammary gland morphology. Nutr Cancer. 2002;43(1):67-75.
16. Donovan KA, Greene PG, Shuster JL, Partridge EE, Tucker DC. Treatment preferences in recurrent ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2002 Aug; 86(2):200-11.
17. Talley LI, Grizzle WE, Waterbor JW, Brown D, Weiss H, Frost AR. Hormone receptors and proliferation in breast carcinomas of equivilant histologic grades in pre- and postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer. 2002 Mar 1;98(1):118-27.
18. Acton RT, Barton JC, Casebeer L, Talley L. Survey of physician knowledge about hemochromatosis. Genet Med. 2002 May-Jun;4(3):136-41.
19. Grizzle WE, Manne U, Weiss HL, Jhala N, Talley L. Molecular staging of colorectal cancer in African-American and Caucasian patients using phenotypic expression of p53, Bcl-2, MUC-1 and p27(kip-1). Int J Cancer. 2002 Feb 1;97(4):403-9 Review.
20. Rodriguez-Burford C, Barnes MN, Oelschlager DK, Myers RB, Talley LI, Partridge EE, Grizzle WE. Effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDS) on ovarian carcinoma cell lines: preclinical evaluation of NSAIDS as chemopreventive agents. Clin Cancer Res. 2002 Jan;8(1):202-9.
21. Cotroneo MS, Wang J, Fritz WA, Eltoum IE, Lamartiniere CA. Genistein action in the prepubertal mammary gland in a chemprevention model. Carcinogenesis. 2002 Sep;23(9);1467-74.
22. Weinsier RL, Hunter GR, Desmond RA, Byrne NM, Zuckerman PA, Darnell BE. Free-living activity energy expenditure in women successful and unsuccessful at maintaining a normal body weight. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Mar;75(3):499-504.
23. Lamartiniere CA, Cotroneo MS, Fritz WA, Wang J, Mentor-Marcel R, Elgavish A. Genistein chemprevention: timing and mechanisms of action in murine mammary and prostate. J Nutr. 2002 Mar;132(3):552S-558S. Review.
24. Chaudhuri TR, Cao Z, Rodriguez-Burford C, LoBuglio AF, Zinn KR. A non-invasive approach for monitoring breast tumor cells during therapeutic intervention. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2002 Apr;17(2):205-12.
25. Hemminki A, Zinn KR, Liu B, Chauduri TR, Desmond RA, Rogers BE, Barnes MN, Alvarez RD, Curiel DT. In vivo molecular chemotherapy and noninvasive imaging with an infectivity-enhanced adenovirus. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002 May 15;94(10):741-9.
26. Gower BA, Weinsier RL, Jordan JM, Hunter GR, Desmond R. Effects of weight loss on changes in insulin sensitivity and lipid concentrations in premenopausal African American and white women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):923-7.
27. Hardy RW, Meckling-Gill KA, Williford J, Desmond RA, Wei H. Energy restriction reduces long-chain saturated fatty acids associated with plasma lipids in aging male rats. J Nutr. 2002 Oct;132(10):3172-7.
28. Bachmann LH, Desmond RA, Stephens J, Hughes A, Hook EW 3rd. Duration of persistence of gonococcal DNA detected by ligase chain reaction in men and women following recommended therapy for uncomplicated gonorrhea. J Clin Microbiol. 2002 Oct;40(10):3596-601.
29. Lara-Castro C, Weinsier RL, Hunter GR, Desmond R. Visceral adipose tissue in women: longitudinal study of the effects of fat gain, time and race. Obes Res. 2002 Sep;10(9):868-74.
30. Hemminki A, Wang M, Desmond RA, Strong TV, Alvarez RD, Curiel DT. Serum and ascites neutralizing antibodies in ovarian cancer patients treated with intraperitoneal adenoviral gene therapy. Hum Gene Ther. 2002 Aug 10;13(12):1505-14.
31. Desmond RA, Weiss HL, Arani RB, Soong SJ, Wood MK, Fiddian PA, Gnann JW, Whitley RJ. Clinical applications for change-point analysis of herpes zoster pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002 Jun;23(6):510-6.
32. Accortt NA, Waterbor JW, Beall C, Howard G. Chronic disease mortality in a cohort of smokeless tobacco users. Am J Epidemiol. 2002 Oct 15;156(8):730-7.
33. Cope MB, Steele VE, Eto I, Juliana MM, Hill DL, Grubbs CJ. Prevention of methylnitrosourcea-induced mammary cancers by 9-cis-retinoic acid and/or vitamin D3. Oncol Rep. 2002 May-Jun;9(3):533-7.
34. MacLennan PA, Delzell E, Sathiakumar N, Myers SL, Cheng H, Grizzle W, Chen VW, Wu XC. Cancer incidence among triazine herbicide manufacturing workers. J Occup Environ Med. 2002 Nov;44(11):1048-58.
1. Cope MB, Nagy TR, Fernandez J, Allison DB. Effects of olanzapine on body weight in C57BL/6J mice. Int J Obesity 2002;26:S157, 597.
2. Cope MB, Davis B, Nagy TR, Allison DB. Extraction and purification of olanzapine from zyprexa tablets. FASEB J 2002;16:A568.
3. Blaylock ML, Nagy TR. Resistin and adiponectin expression in lean and obese Zucker rats. FASEB J 2002;16:A603.
4. Chhieng DC, Rodríguez-Burford C, Stockard CR, Barnes MN, Sviglin H, Talley LI, Alvarez RD, Partridge EE, and Grizzle WE. Expression of CEA, Tag-72, and Lewis Y antigen in primary and matched metastatic lesions of ovarian carcinoma. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 2002; 43: 47.
Abstracts presented at national or international meetings but not published
1. Chaudhuri TR, Cao Z, Davis AJ, Della Manna D, Rodríguez-Burford C, Robinson GD, Partridge EE, and Zinn KR. Treatment monitoring of microscopic ovarian cancer in live mice. American Society of Clinical Oncology 2002.
2. Chaudhuri TR, Cao Z, Rodríguez-Burford C, Stargel A, LoBuglio AF, and Zinn KR. In vivo optical imaging of angiogenesis in breast cancer xenografts during therapy. American society of Gene Therapy (ASGT) Meeting, June 2002.
3. Chaudhuri TR, Cao Z, Della Manna D, Rodríguez-Burford C, Stargel A, Partridge EE, and Zinn KR. A sensitive method for treatment monitoring of microscopic ovarian cancer in live mice. American Society of Gene Therapy (ASGT) Meeting June 2002.
4. Chhieng DC, Rodríguez-Burford C, Stockard CR, Barnes MN, Sviglin H, Talley L, Alvarez RD, Partridge EE, and Grizzle WE. Expression of therapeutic targets in primary and matched metastatic lesions of ovarian carcinoma. NCI 10th SPORE Investigators' Workshop; 2002.
Abstracts presented at local meetings and not published
1. Anderson-Lewis C, VonAh D. A preliminary comparison of African American and Caucasian women's spirituality after recently being diagnosed with breast cancer. UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
2. Cheney L, Muilenberg JL, Kohler C. Can a one women play effectively deliver a cancer awaeness message? UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
3. Mentor-Marcel R, Lamartiniere C, Eltoum IE, Greenberg N, Elgavish A. Genistein downregulates steady state mRNA levels of osteopontin in advanced prostate cancer (TRAMP Mice). UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
4. Talley LI, Fitzgerald TJ, Pandya A, Frost AR, Soong SJ, Grizzle WE, Ruppert M. Subcellular localization of KLF4 predicts survival of breast cancer patients with small tumors. UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
5. Bushell TC, Skikany J, Henao O, Heimburger DC, Greene P, Piyathilake C. Beta-carotene is most predictive of fruit and vegetable intake in an all-female population of smokers. UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
6. Whiteside M, Chen DT, Desmond R, Johanning G. A novel time-course cDNA microarray anaylsis method identifies genes associated with the development of cisplatin resistance. UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.
7. VonAh, D. The role of stress, optimism and spirituality on depression in women with breast cancer: preliminary findings. UAB CCC Research Retreat, 2002.