UAB has an early acceptance program for academically superior high-school seniors, attracting them to UAB’s physical therapy program with guaranteed admission to the School of Health after college.
Eligibility for DPTEAP
Since acceptance to DPTEAP means acceptance to physical therapy school, entry is highly competitive. In fact, only 3 new students are invited to join the program each year.
Required High School Courses: four years of English, four years of mathematics, one year of chemisty or physics, one year biology
Minimum GPA: 3.5 Overall GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
Test Scores: at least 29 ACT or a minimum 1280 SAT
Keep in mind that this is the combined score of Critical Reading (formerly known as Verbal) and Math - total possible 1600. If the new writing portion is required, which UAB does not, the SAT has three parts which could total 2400. However, for purposes of applying to DPTEAP, we only count the 1280 minimum as out of the 1600.
Selection Process: The Physical Therapy Faculty Committee interviews a select number of eligible candidates. The committee is seeking individuals who have demonstrated leadership and motivation and have high academic credentials.
Applying for DPTEAP
Step 1: Apply to UAB through Undergraduate Admission at www.uab.edu/apply. You must be admitted to the University by January 1 to join DPTEAP in the fall of the year of matriculation.
Step 2: Submit:
Step 3: By January 15, send your application along with essay questions and recommendations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria for Remaining in Good Standing in DPTEAP
The following requirements and conditions are to be met by all DPTEAP students in order to remain in good standing for maintaining their acceptance into the University of Alabama at Birmingham Department of Physical Therapy:
- Maintain an overall 3.4 GPA and a 3.2 in all prerequisite coursework.
- Stay in contact with the DPTEAP Mentor each semester.
- Regular ongoing academic counseling with undergraduate major advisor.
- Complete HIPPA training.
- Develop a profile of volunteer experiences. This includes:
Shadowing several different physical therapists to have a variety of experiences in acute injuries, geriatrics, pediatrics and sports injuries.
Volunteer in service organizations benefiting other people, especially those serving under-served populations.
- Participate in ongoing activities with the Department of Physical Therapy and demonstrate leadership and maturity consistent with the expectations of other non early admission students
- Graduate with an undergraduate degree from UAB.
- Apply to the Graduate School with submission of GRE scores a year prior to entering UAB Physical Therapy School.
Any questions please contact Betsy Coleman, Admissions Coordinator, at email@example.com or 205-934-4363