As a requirement of the MSHA, MSHA/MSHI and MSHA/MBA programs, students must complete an administrative residency for a period of nine to 12 months. Credit hours are granted for the residency work.
The residency experience provides an opportunity for students to:
- apply their classroom learning in a health care setting under the mentorship of a senior health services executive;
- experience a full-time, paid experience that follows the program's didactic course work;
- observe organizational operations;
- participate in decision-making; and
- complete assigned projects.
The residency coordinator along with other faculty members in the department work very closely with students to assist them in securing residency positions that will provide appropriate professional development opportunities as they begin their careers. Many residency sites send representatives to Birmingham to complete on-campus interviews with students who are interested in placement. While many of the program's residency placements are in the Southeastern U.S., a variety of the residency opportunities across the nation are also available to students.