In addition to the general UAB Graduate School admission requirements, applicants to the Biotechnology Program must:
- Have a B.S. degree, with a major in biology, chemistry, or a related major from an accredited college or university;
- Have taken the following prerequisite courses at UAB or other instution(s):
- MA 105 (or higher) Precalculus Algebra (3 hrs)
- CH 115/116L General Chemistry I (4 hrs)
- CH 117/118L General Chemistry II (4 hrs)
- BY 123 Introductory Biology (4 hrs)
- BY 210 Genetics (3)
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (A = 4.0), computed from all undergraduate credits or from the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate course credit;
- Earn scores of at least 500 in each of the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE General Test;
- Provide a written statement of career goals; and
- If foreign-educated, have a score of at least 550 (or 80 for online version) on the TOEFL, submit a transcript evaluation from World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org and submit records of recognized certification credentials if appropriate.
- If accepted, complete the UAB medical history questionnaire and physical, provide proof of required immunizations, and receive satisfactory screening by the UAB Medical Center Student Health Service before enrollment
Application for admission must be completed by July 1 of the summer before the fall semester for which the student wishes to be considered.
For more information, contact the UAB Biotechnology Program at (205) 934-3595.