Professor, Departments of Nutrition Sciences and Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Department of Nutrition Sciences
1714 9th Ave. South
354 A Learning Resource Center
Birmingham, AL 35294-3360
Phone: (205) 934-3235
Fax: (205) 934-7049
My current research interests include folic acid and methotrexate biochemistry. Past research, with Dr. Joseph E. Baggott has centered around folic acid supplementation during low-dose methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis and the biochemical mechanism of action of methotrexate.
I am also interested in bone densitometry and metabolic bone disease.
- B.S. (1977) Iowa State University, Ames Iowa
- M.D. (1981) University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- M.S., R.D. (1986, 1987) University of Alabama at Birmingham
1981-1984 Resident, Internal Medicine, Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
1984-1986 Postdoctoral Fellow, Clinical Nutrition, UAB
1986-1989 Instructor, Department of Nutrition Sciences, UAB
1989-1993 Assistant Professor, Department of Nutrition Sciences, School of Medicine, UAB
1993-2000 Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition Sciences, School of Medicine, UAB
1996-present Division Director, Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Departments of Nutrition Sciences and Medicine, UAB
1998-present Medical Director, UAB Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Clinic, UAB
2000-present Professor of Nutrition Sciences and Medicine, UAB
2001-present Associate Dean for Research Compliance, School of Medicine, UAB
- 1986 C.E. Butterworth Award for Outstanding Graduate Student in Nutrition Sciences, UAB
- 1986-1988 Future Nutrition Leader's Award, International Life Sciences Institute/Nutrition Foundation
- 1989 Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- 1991 Outstanding Young Alumna Award, Iowa State University
- 1991-1994 Clinical Associate Physician, University of Alabama at Birmingham, General Clinical Research Center
- 1997 Fellow of the American Dietetics Association
- 2002 Outstanding UAB Faculty Member Award, UAB Women's Center
Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Vaughn WH, Young PK, Austin JV, Krumdieck CL, Alarcón GS. The effect of folic acid supplementation on the toxicity of low-dose methotrexate treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1990; 33: 9-18.
Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Vaughn WH, Austin JS, Veitch TA, Lee JY, Koopman WJ, Krumdieck CL, Alarcón GS. Supplementation with folic acid during methotrexate therapy of rheumatoid arthritis: Results from double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1994; 121: 833-841.
Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Lee JY, Alarcón GS. Folic acid supplementation prevents deficient blood folate levels and hyperhomocysteinemia during long-term, low dose methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis: Implications for cardiovascular disease prevention. J Rheumatol 25: 441-446, 1998.
Morgan SL, Baggott JE, Alarcón GS, Bernreuter W, Arani R. Separation of inflammation and destructive response – MTX affects inflammation and tissue destruction different in the rat AA model, J Rheumatol 28: 1476-81, 2001.
Morgan SL, Abercrombie W, Lee JY. Need for precision studies at individual institutions and assessment of size of regions of interest on serial DXA scans. J Clin Densitometry, 6: 97-101, 2003.
Link to PubMed Search
Connie L. Bonds