The Health Care Management Program is UAB’s undergraduate health care manager program. The B.S. in Health Care Management program curriculum is designed to provide students with the necessary industry knowledge and job skills needed by mid-level managers in health care organizations. Program graduates are prepared for mid-level management positions in all types of health care organizations, including hospitals, ambulatory care centers, long term care facilities, and home health care agencies.
Admission options are based on the student’s previous academic work, current professional status, and personal interests. Curriculum tracks include Pre-professional, Clinical Manager, Long Term Care Administrator, and General Manager. Students who plan to seek admission to graduate level health professions programs may apply for admission to the Pre-professional option. Prerequisites for admission to identified graduate programs can be incorporated into the program of study for this track in the B.S. in Health Care Management degree. The clinical manager option is restricted to individuals who are credentialed or licensed in a health professions discipline. The Long Term Care Administrator track prepares graduates to work in nursing homes and other long term care facilities. All other students should consider the General Manager option. The program is a Full Certified Undergraduate Member of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration.
Admission Requirements: The candidate is expected to satisfy the following requirements:
- for the Clinical Manager option, be a graduate of a certificate and/or associate degree health professions program or the equivalent, including associate degree or diploma registered nursing program, and be licensed, registered, or certified in the health specialty (not required for the other tracks);
- for the Clinical Manager or General Manager options, have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (A=4.0; for the Pre-Professional or Long Term Care Administrator options, have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (A=4.0);
- have a minimum grade of C in all previous professional coursework to be applied to the degree;
- complete the UAB/Program Core Curriculum with a minimum grade of C in each course;
- if accepted, complete the UAB medical history questionnaire and physical, provide proof of required immunizations, and receive satisfactory screening by the UAB Medical Center Student Health Service and
- if accepted, a background check and/or drug screening may be required prior to clinical placement.
If you have questions about the B.S. in Health Care Management Program , please contact Pam Paustian at (205) 975-9376 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.